Pages

7/6/11

Fried chicken is my favorite animal...

I found this joke in my email inbox this morning:

"Our teacher asked us what our favorite animal was, and I said, "Fried chicken." She said I wasn't funny, but she couldn't have been right, because everyone else in the class laughed. My parents told me to always be truthful and honest, and I am. Fried chicken is my favorite animal. I told my dad what happened, and he said my teacher was probably a member of PETA. He said they love animals very much. Especially chicken, pork and beef.

Anyway, my teacher sent me to the principal's office.I told him what happened, and he laughed, too. Then he told me not to do it again.

The next day in class my teacher asked me what my favorite live animal was. I told her it was chicken. She asked me why, just like she'd asked the other children. So I told her it was because you could make them into fried chicken. She sent me back to the principal's office again. He laughed, and told me not to do it again. I don't understand.

My parents taught me to be honest, but my teacher doesn't like it when I am.Today, my teacher asked us to tell her what famous person we admire most. I told her, "Colonel Sanders." Guess where I am now..."

Yes, this is a joke, but let's face it, this kind of indoctrination is rampant in our schools, and is one of the many reasons I homeschool my kids. Somehow, entire generations of kids, now adults have lost an appreciation for where their food comes from...and it's only getting worse. I read an article recently about kids in the UK who thought bacon came from sheep. I can honestly say that my children know, without a doubt, where their food comes from, whether it's meat, veggies, milk or eggs.

We spent all Saturday morning harvesting our meat chickens. It was good family fun where the kids get to see their once cute, fuzzy chicks turn into....well...fried chicken. Sure, there are some aspects that are less than glamourous, but as we watched our kids spend an hour dissecting a chicken heart, it was hard not to recognize the irreplaceable value of real life exploration and discovery, and the long term effect it will have on their world view and awareness. Of course, many people (many more these days) do not share in our view that raising and harvesting your own food is a valuable learning opportunity for children. Most of my husband's family, for instance, live the PETA hypocrisy of swatting flies while they wolf down tofu burgers...

We chatted about these unfortunates as we plucked broilers on Saturday, laughing about friends who refuse to eat anything that didn't come from the grocery store, and what that trend has brought us in the way of food quality and safety. It's a sad state of affairs in this country where food is concerned. And kids get the worst of it. Even my farm-raised kids came rushing in halfway through an episode of Sesame Street last week to say that they desperately needed some vegetables for breakfast because they wanted to be 'healthy'...uh, really?

Folks, there's only One Authority when it comes to our food, as He designed the entire system. For now, I think I'll let His words end this post.

Genesis 1:26-30
26: And God said, "Let us make man in our image after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth."

27: So God created man in his own image, in the image of God He created him; male and female He created  them.

28: And God blessed them, and God said unto them, "Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth."

29: And God said, "Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for food. And to every beast of the earth, and to every fowl of the air, and to every thing that creepeth upon the earth, wherein there is life, I have given every green herb for food," and it was so.

30: And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good.

No comments:

Post a Comment